DULAS ISLAND REFUGE TOWER
Map Reference SH59SW
Grid Reference SH5005490179
Unitary (Local) Authority Maritime
Old County Maritime
Type of Site SAILORS REFUGE
Broad Class Maritime
Period Post Medieval
Site Description This 9m high, stone tower with a tapering top was built by Colonel James Hughes of Lys Dulas in 1821 as a landmark and also as a refuge for sailors shipwrecked on the island. The tower was supplied with essential foodstuffs to provide aid and comfort until the sailors could be rescued. A tablet on the tower is inscribed '1821, Col. James Hughes owner'.
Holden, C, 2008, The Essential Underwater Guide to North Wales, Vol 2, pg136
Historic Admiralty Chart 1170-A4, RCAHMW Digital Collections sourced from UK Hydrographic Office (published 1839)
RCAHMW, October 2011.