ST ARVAN'S CHURCH CROSS-SLAB
Map Reference ST59NW
Grid Reference ST5165396516
Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire
Old County Monmouthshire
Community St Arvans
Type of Site CROSS INCISED STONE
Broad Class Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Site Description The St Arvan's Church Cross-Slab was discovered during the restoration of the church in the 1880's. Originally in two parts, the cross-slab was re-joined during restoration and is now displayed on a free-standing plinth .
Dated to the late tenth or early eleventh century, the cross-slab measures 0.91 meters in height, 0.44 meters in width and 0.15 meters in depth. It is decorated on all sides in low relief with plain edge-moulding. The principal face features a Lating ring-cross with square arms and small circular arm-pits set above a central shaft of plaitwork with a vertical series of four panels depicting flying , robed figures to each side. The reverse side also has a Lating ring cross and vertical panels of interlace each side.
Source: Cadw scheduling description of March 2011
NAR card ST59NW/36