Located near the Valle Crucis Abbey (NPRN: 95205), the Abbey Rifle Range was a Victorian shooting range in use by the 9th Denbighshire Volunteers, as indicated on the Ordnance Survey first series 25-inch map. The range moved between the 1st series mapping of the area and the 2nd Series (1899), from two ranges to just one on a new alignment. The second location, used as the marker of this record, lies slightly to the north of the original range (Grid Reference: SJ2070243919). The same alignment is portrayed on the 3rd series mapping (1919) which appears to portray upgraded facilities, and in use during the First World War.
The range remained in use until the 1960s, after which the surviving rifle butts fell into disuse and few physical traces of the rifle ranges remain today.
Daryl Leeworthy & David Leighton, RCAHMW, 20 May 2014.