Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CORPORATION BATHS, GUILDFORD CRESCENT, CARDIFF

Site Details



NPRN 415047

Map Reference ST17NE

Grid Reference ST1879576282

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Castle (Cardiff)

Type of Site SWIMMING POOL

Broad Class RECREATIONAL

Period 19th Century

Site Description The Guildford Crescent or Corporation Baths, designed by T. Waring, opened originally in April 1862 as the result of private enterprise by the Cardiff Baths Company Ltd. They featured two large swimming baths - a first class and a second class - and a Turkish bath, as well as a gymnasium and Jewish Mikveh. After a brief closure, the facility was bought by Cardiff Corporation in the 1870s and became known as the Corporation Baths. When it first opened, the swimming baths were open-air but reconstruction work in the 1890s added a roof and changed the internal layout. The opening ceremony for the newly-indoor baths was conducted in 1896 by Lady Windsor.

Following the opening of the Empire Pool in 1958, the Guildford Crescent Baths was given over to the exclusive use of children and finally closed on 31 March 1984. Now demolished the site is occupied by a hotel.

RCAHMW, 14 June 2013.