Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

STEBONHEATH PARK, LLANELLI

Site Details



NPRN 415102

Map Reference SN50SW

Grid Reference SN5162400528

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Llanelli

Type of Site FOOTBALL GROUND

Broad Class RECREATIONAL

Period 20th Century

Site Description Stebonheath Park was laid out in 1920 as the home ground of Llanelli Association Football Club. Upgraded in 1922, it was officially opened by Colonel McKenzie, the Manager of the Welfare Department at Richard Thomas & Co, the owners of the ironworks at Llanelli on 16 October. The opening match of the upgraded ground, which had a wooden grandstand, covered end terrance, and large "bob bank" at the southern end, took place on 16 October between Llanelli and Tottenham Hotspur. Ownership of the ground transferred to the local council in 1977 and the site has since been refurbished to provided for athletics as well as football. In July 2008 a modern, all-seater stand was built providing for 300 spectators.

Daryl Leeworthy, RCAHMW, 21 October 2011.

Digital Images

Archive Records