Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MOCHDRE WATER TROUGHS, NORTH WALES COAST MAIN LINE, LONDON AND NORTH WESTERN RAILWAY, MOCHDRE

Site Details



NPRN 415288

Map Reference SH87NW

Grid Reference SH8280579241

Unitary (Local) Authority Conwy

Old County Denbighshire

Community Mochdre (Conwy)

Type of Site WATER TROUGH

Broad Class TRANSPORT

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description 1. The water troughs at Mochdre were the world's first. They were installed by Ramsbottom of the London and North Western Railway in 1860 and enabled trains to complete their journey to Holyhead without having to stop for water. The troughs were laid between the rails and locomotives could collect water through a scoop in the tender. There are no remains.
Source: David Gwyn & Merfyn Williams, ‘A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of North West Wales’ Association for Industrial Archaeology, 1996.
Claire Parry, RCAHMW, 21 November 2011.
2. Mochdre troughs were installed in 1859/60 some 2.47 km to the west of Colwyn Bay Station, by the 221 mile post (221 miles from London Euston station) and were 508 yards (465 metres) long. The troughs were dismantled in 1871 and re-erected at Aber (nprn 422769).
Sources: The Railway Magazine, May 2018, p.23; railwaycodes.org.uk, accessed 30 April 2018
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 04 May 2018.