Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

GLAIS RACECOURSE, GLAIS STADIUM, SWANSEA

Site Details



NPRN 417125

Map Reference SN70SW

Grid Reference SN7024300941

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Clydach

Type of Site DOG RACING TRACK, RACECOURSE

Broad Class RECREATIONAL

Period Post Medieval, 20th Century, 19th Century

Site Description Glais Stadium (otherwise Glais Racecourse), situated on the outskirts of Swansea was used for much of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries for a variety of racing sports including pedestrianism, horse racing, foot racing and greyhound racing. Although not clearly marked on Ordnance Survey mapping until the 4th revision of 1935 - by which time the formal features of a greyhound racing circuit such as a grandstand are clearly in evidence - there is ample newspaper evidence for its use in earlier decades. The transformation of the circuit for greyhound racing took place in 1928 following the decision by Swansea Corporation not to allow greyhound races at the St Helen's ground in the town centre. By the 1960s, Glais Stadium had been transformed into a general recreational facility with bowling green, tennis courts and sports fields. The earlier stand was retained. Today, the sports grounds are largely taken up by the 18-hole Tawe Vale Golf Club, a former 9-hole works course developed for use by employees of the INCO Nickel Works (the former Mond Nickel Works) nearby. The bowling green has, however, survived.

Daryl Leeworthy, RCAHMW, 27 June 2012.