Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST PAUL'S CHURCH, BRYN-COED-IFOR

Site Details



NPRN 417321

Map Reference SH72SE

Grid Reference SH7964020764

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Merioneth

Community Brithdir and Llanfachreth

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Modern, Post Medieval

Site Description St Paul's Church is situated within a rectilinear churchyard, bounded by a road on its south-east side. There is a lych gate (NPRN 43895) within the south-east boundary. It is a small mid-nineteenth century church built in a restrained Early English style by Henry Kennedy, architect of Bangor, whose plans and elevations are dated April 1846; these show transepts which were never excecuted.
The building is constructed of rubble with sandstone dressings and steeply-pitched slate roofs with decorative ridge-tiles. Its plan comprises a five-bay aisless nave with step-down chancel, a steeply-gabled south porch and contemporary vestry on the north.
Notable interior features include an early twentieth-century rood screen and pulpit in Arts and Crafts Perpendicular style.

The church was founded, mainly for the convenience of the families and workers from the estates of Hengwrt and Caerynwch. St Mark's Church, Brithdir (NPRN 43883), built in 1898, replaced St Paul's as the place of worship for parishioners living in the Caerynwch and Brithdir area. Bryncoedifor Vicarage is adjacent to north-east churchyard boundary. The last resident vicar, the Rev. Eric Alexander Owen, left the vicarage in 1951. For a brief time after 1951 the Rev. Hugh Thomas, from Brithdir vicarage, led services in both St Mark's and St Paul's.

Sources include:
Cadw Listing database
www.oocities.org/stmarys_dol/paul/index.html

N Vousden & David Leighton, RCAHMW, RCAHMW, 5 November 2014

Associated Sites