Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CAPEL LLANLLUAN, CHAPEL SITE, CAPEL FARM

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 417590

Map Reference SN51NE

Grid Reference SN5568915504

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Llanarthney

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description Capel Llanlluan is mentioned in sixteenth century documents under the parish of Llanarthney. The chapel is thought to have been located on the farm of Capel, where there is noted to have been a small burial ground with faint traces of an enclosing wall. The site was visited by RCAHMW staff in 1912, and it was noted that the tenant of Capel at that time paid an annual rent charge to the vicar of Llanarthney for what is recorded as 'the chapel yard'. The chapel is depicted on historic (1888-1906) mapping. a well, possibly associated with the chapel, is also depicted on historic mapping. The well is located adjacent to a footpath (orientated north-south) and a track leads to it from Capel Farm, running west-north-west for some 200m. The name is suggested to be a corruption of 'Llanllian' ('the nun's chapel').

Sources include:
Ordnance Survey, 1888, first edition 25inch
Ordnance survey, 1906, second edition 25 inch

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 17 September 2012