Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST BLEDRWS' CHURCH;ST MICHAEL'S CHURCH, BETWS BLEDRWS

Site Details



NPRN 418245

Map Reference SN55SE

Grid Reference SN5958052000

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llangybi (Ceredigion)

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St Bledrws' Church is situated within a roughly rectilinear churchyard bounded by the old Rectory on its east side and gardens to the north. set some 30m back from the road, its west and south sides are bounded by the adjacent field. The church was a parish church during the medieval period, belonging to the Deanery of Sub-Aeron. At this time, it was known as St Michael's Church, although it was known as St Bledrws' Church by 1833. The church is thought to have always been in the patronage of the Bishop of St Davids. In the churchyard lie the graves of a father and son (David J. Morgan, died 1872) noted to have been builder and contractor of Derry-Ormond Tower (NPRN 23024).

The form of the medieval church is not known. The small, square font dates to the twelfth century. Its lower corners are chamfered and there is a band of lightly incised roundel ornament, similar to the fonts at Henfynyw and St Ffraid's Church, Llansantffraid (NPRN96045). In 1831 the church was entirely rebuilt on the same site and in the same location as its predecessor, but retaining nothing from the earlier fabric. The work may have been to the designs of C.R. Cockerall, who designed Derry Ormond mansion (NPRN 96038). The current church is constructed of local (mainly Llanddewi Brefi) rubble stone. It consists of two-bayed nave, two-bayed chancel, two-bayed vestry/organ chamber (south of chancel) and south-west tower. The tower dates to the 1831 rebuild. The church was again substantially rebuilt in 1886, to the designs of D. Edward Thomas, Haverfordwest. The nave, chancel and vestry/organ chamber date to this time. The church is furnished with ranges of seats with high backs, elevated above each other, instead of pews, which were erected at the expense of John Jones Esq. of Derry-Ormond. A stained glass window in the north chancel wall, by R. Westmacott Jun., is dedicated to John Jones Esq. and dates to 1836. In 1886 a stained glass window by Thomas Ward, depicting the Nativity, Crucifiction and Ascension was moved to St Cybi's Church, Llangybi (NPRN 419061).

Sources include:
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Ceredigion Churches, gazetteer, 48
Lloyd, T, Orbach, J and Scourfield, R, 2006, The Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion

RCAHMW, 16 October 2013.

Archive Records

Associated Sites