Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST LLEIAN'S CHURCH, GORSLAS

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 418399

Map Reference SN51SE

Grid Reference SN5698113853

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Gorslas

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Lleian's Church is sited within a rectilinear churchyard, bounded by Church Road (Heol yr Eglwys) on its east side. It was built in 1866 as a Church School. It was converted to a new Parish Church on April 15th 1879, in order to serve the new ecclesiastical parish of Gorslas, made out of part of three parishes, Llanarthney, Llanfihangel Aberbythych and Llandybie. St Lleian's is currently a parish church.
The church is constructed of red sandstone and grey limestone with slate roofs. It consists of nave and chancel, west bellcote and gabled north porch. It was built in stages - the nave in 1866 to designs of E.M.Goodwin, the chancel in 1879 by David Jenkins. Stained glass includes work by Celtic Studios (c.1960 & 1978) and Shrigley & Hunt (1930s).
St Lleian's Church Hall (NPRN 418400) is situated within the churchyard, some 50m north of the church.

Sources include:
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (2006), p.201.
www.churchinwales.org.uk

D Leighton & N Vousden, RCAHMW, 23 June 2015

Associated Sites