Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST CYBI'S CHURCH, LLANGYBI

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 419061

Map Reference SN65SW

Grid Reference SN6084953165

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llangybi (Ceredigion)

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St Cybi's Church is situated within a curvilinear set back from the A485, adjacent to the former section of main road. Historic (1888 and 1905) Ordnance Survey mapping depicts a curvilinear field boundary to the east of the churchyard, which may be the remains of a larger outer enclosure. The church was a parish church during the medieval period, belonging to the Deanery of Sub-Aeron. At this time it was in the patronage of the Bishop of St Davids as a prebend to the collegiate church of Llanddewi Brefi. In 1833 the living was a perpetual curacy of the Archdeaconry of Cardigan, consolidated with that of Llanfair Clydogau. A holy well, Ffynnon Wen (NPRN 303541), is located some 460m to the south-west. The well was once renowned for its healing properties. According to local tradition, after visiting the well the night would be spent at a stone known as Llech Gybi (thought to have possibly been located in the vicinity of the church), supported by uprights, in order to complete the healing process.

The church is constructed of local rubble stone. It consists of nave, two-bayed chancel, west porch and north vestry. The nave and chancel may date to the thirteenth and fourteenth century. The church was restored in 1850, when the porch and vestry were added and the present ceilings, floors and fittings were added. This restoration is commemorated on a datestone above the chancel's east window. The church was again restored in the 1880s, at which time the present east window, moved from St Bledrws' Church, Betws Bledrws (NPRN 418245), and bellcote were added. The square font bowl dates from the late 1880s. It sits on a later-twentieth-century brick stem.

Sources include:
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Carmarthenshire Churches, gazetteer, 48
Ordnance Survey, 1888, first edition 25in
Ordnance survey, 1905, second edition 25in

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 18 June 2013

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites