Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

TALBOT PARK WAR MEMORIAL, PORT TALBOT

Site Details



NPRN 419433

Map Reference SS78NE

Grid Reference SS7731889062

Unitary (Local) Authority Neath, Port Talbot

Old County Glamorgan

Community Port Talbot

Type of Site WAR MEMORIAL

Broad Class COMMEMORATIVE

Period 20th Century

Site Description The focal point of the memorial park, in the centre of the main avenue. In 1918 Emily Charlotte Talbot of Margam Park donated a field in the town as a memorial for the dead of the First World War (1914-18).
The monument is a square-section pillar of unpolished granite supporting a bronze statue. Raised fields to the four faces of the pillar, with bands at top and bottom, for the attachment of bronze plaques. Flat projecting capstone with cyma moulding to underside, supporting a stone plinth on which rests a tall bronze statue of the Angel of Victory, holding a wreath in one hand and a small winged victory in the other. The sculptor's name is inscribed on the bronze base, L F Roslyn 1925. The pillar is on a tall stepped base with banded rustication and hollow moulding around the top, on a wide three-tier stone platform with a semi-circular projection to the centre of each step.
A rectangular bronze plaque is mounted on each face of the pillar, each with a scene in relief. That to the front (S) has a wreath in high relief, and a band set behind with '1914 - 1918'. Below is an inscription 'To the glory of God in memory of our honoured dead who fell in the Great War'. A short rectangular bronze tablet has been inserted beneath the raised panel and reads in relief 'Also / 1939 - 1945'.
The remaining panels represent war, peace and remembrance. (Cadw Listing database)

RCAHMW, 4 February 2014

Digital Images

Archive Records