PRESTEIGNE RIFLE RANGE
Map Reference SO36SW
Grid Reference SO31246386
Unitary (Local) Authority Powys
Old County Radnorshire
Type of Site FIRING RANGE
Broad Class DEFENCE
Period 20th Century, 19th Century
Site Description A 700 yard rifle range was located on farmland on the west side of the village. It appears on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map (1890). A line of targets is shown at the south end of the range at the foot of a wooded slope which presumably acted as the stop butt. Immediately in front of the targets is shown a small square structure, perhaps the marker’s hut. Shooting positions are shown as points at 100 yard intervals. The range is portrayed on the 1904 edition but with the targets set back to the previous 100 yard firing position. This may have been in response to a fatality in 1902 when a child was shot while collecting wimberries on the wooded slope. The inquest jury considered the range unsafe but it was subsequently inspected by the district inspector of musketry and declared safe ‘subject to certain alterations being carried out’. This included removing the belt of trees behind the target (1), though this does not subsequently appear to have been carried out.
The range does not appear on the next, 1930, edition of the map. The northern part of the range has since been built on.
(1) Cardiff Times, 12.07.1902 & 26.07.1902.
David Leighton, RCAHMW, 18 June 2014