Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARK'S CHURCH, WREXHAM

Site Details



NPRN 420474

Map Reference SJ35SW

Grid Reference SJ3318550383

Unitary (Local) Authority Wrexham

Old County Denbighshire

Community Offa

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The church of St Mark was built in the period 1856-8 in the Geometrical Decorated style to designs of R.Kyrke Penson. The ground plan was cruciform and comprised chancel, small north and south transepts, nave and aisles, with north porch and detached tower in three stages surmounted by a lofty spire (completed 1862) at the south-west angle, the base of which formed the vestry room. The north transept was occupied by the organ chamber and clergy vestry. A feature of the church was its great height. The roof was originally 63 feet (19.2m) above the floor but was afterwards lowered by 20 feet (6m) for acoustic reasons.
In 1897 the sanctuary was laid with Italian marble tiles and new altar rails put up. The following year new carved oak stalls were put in and the windows filled with cathedral glass. The panelled pulpit, of freestone, was entered from the vestry. The octagonal font, on a pillar of green marble, had an oak cover with ironwork. There was stencilled decoration supposedly by Owen Jones.
In 1956 the church was demolished. The site is now occupied by a multi-storey carpark.
Descriptive sources:
E.Hubbard, Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (1986), p.303.
D.R.Thomas, History of the Diocese of St Asaph vol.3 (1913), 307-8.

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 10 October 2014