Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST PETER'S CHURCH IN WALES, WREXHAM

Site Details



NPRN 420478

Map Reference SJ35SW

Grid Reference SJ3423750191

Unitary (Local) Authority Wrexham

Old County Denbighshire

Community Caia Park

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 20th Century

Site Description This church was located on the north side of Smithfield Road, Wrexham. The foundation stone was laid in July 1909 and the church opened in January 1910. It appears on the Third Edition OS 25-inch map (1914) as 'Church & Sunday School'.
The church was constructed as a brick building with freestone dressings and a dado of enamelled bricks. It comprised a large room with a classroom and an apse. It had an open deal pulpit and desk and was seated with chairs. The eagle lectern stood on twisted pillars resting on claws.
The building remained a place of worship into the later twentieth century. It is believed to have formerly been St David's Church in Wales. However, the church has since been deconsecrated and is currently used as a warehouse. The adjacent hall (built later than the church and not shown on the 1914 map) is used by the community council.

Historical source: D.R.Thomas, History of the Diocese of St Asaph vol.3 (1913), 315-6.
http://www.churches-uk-ireland.org/towns/w/wrexham_city.html

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 10 October 2014