Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CHRISTCHURCH, RADYR

Site Details



NPRN 420762

Map Reference ST18SW

Grid Reference ST1326380170

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Radyr

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 20th Century

Site Description Christchurch is an early-twentieth century church located on the west side of Heol Isaf (B4262) near the centre of Radyr. The church was begun in 1903, in Perpendicular style, to designs of G.E.Halliday. The nave was first used in 1904, the chancel, tower and vestry completed 1910.
The church comprises an aisleless nave of five bays, chancel, separately gabled north-east vestry converted to a chapel, south-east tower and south porch. Attached to the north side is a suite of parish rooms added in the later twentieth century. It is built of snecked, rock-faced Pennant sandstone with Bath stone ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof with cruciform finials.
The tower is unbuttressed but with octagonal corner turrets and has a deeply crenellated parapet. The interior is rendered and painted with exposed ashlar dressings and a dark stained open boarded timber roof, the chancel has a waggon roof. Fittings include a west font consisting of an octagonal bowl on short marble piers (1905) and a stone and marble pulpit at in the north-east of the nave (c.1912). Stained glass includes examples of Art Nouveau motifs.

Sources:
extracts from Cadw Listing description.
J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (1995), p.537.

RCAHMW, 16 January 2015