Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CHURCH OF ST ELIZABETH, GLASINFRYN

Site Details



NPRN 421423

Map Reference SH56NE

Grid Reference SH5863768787

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Pentir

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The former church of St Elizabeth is located at the south end of the village of Glasinfryn, on the south side of the A55 road, to the south of Bangor. It is a small church built in Early English style in 1871 to designs of Sir G.G.Scott, and is constructed of coursed, squared blocks of rock-faced dark stone with paler sandstone dressings and slate roofs. The church is aligned roughly north by south. It comprises nave and chancel in one, gabled south porch, and gabled north vestry. According to successive editions of Ordnance Survey mapping both gable and porch were added after 1889.
There is a round multi-lobed window in the west gable. The church has recently gone out of use and converted to a dwelling.
Sources:
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.374.
Ordnance Survey County Series 25-inch map: sheet Caernarfonshire XI.4, editions of 1889 & 1900.
Google Street View, June 2011.

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 16 February 2016

Archive Records