Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, RHOS-Y-GWALIAU, BALA

Site Details



NPRN 421537

Map Reference SH93SW

Grid Reference SH9438034528

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Merioneth

Community Llangywer

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description Holy Trinity church is situated in a wooded valley about 2.3km south-east of Bala. It lies in a roughly triangular churchyard, used as a cemetery, between the Afon Cymerig and its tributary Hirnant. It was built in 1879-80 to designs of E.B.Ferrey in a Gothic lancet style. Constructed in green stone with sandstone dressings and slate roofs, it consists of nave and slightly narrower chancel, west bellcote, gabled south-west porch and lean-to (?) north-east vestry.
The church is now disused.
Sources:
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.697.
NAW air photo: 29403340 (15.07.2006).

RCAHMW, 1 April 2016