You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Nicholas?S Church, St Nicholas

Loading Map
NPRN423639
Map ReferenceSM93NW
Grid ReferenceSM9008635629
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
CommunityPencaer
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodMedieval
Description
St Nicholas? Church lies within a rectilinear churchyard. The church lies some 90m east of a burial mound. It houses three early medieval inscribed and incised stones, St Nicholas 1 (NPRN ), St Nicholas 2 (NPRN ) and St Nicholas 3 (NPRN ). The latter two derive from Llandruidion Farm. The former may be in situ, but there is no other evidence for an early medieval date. St Nicholas is known locally as Trefarchog (`knight's town?), and is thought to be an Anglo-Norman planted settlement . The church was a parish church during the post-Conquest period, belonging to the Deanery of Pebidiog. In 1287 the living was appropriated to the subchanter of St Davids Cathedral by Bishop Thomas Beck, but the advowsan was retained by the Bishop.

The church is a Grade 2 listed building of limestone and slate rubble. It consists of 3-bayed nave, 2-byed chancel, south transept with skew passage, and north porch. The nave, chancel, south transept and skew passage are all thought to be 14th-century in date. The church was restored in 1835, when the nave walls may have been partially rebuilt and the chancel and transept partly refaced. In 1850 the church had a sanctus bellcote and western double bellcote. The church was again restored in 1865, to the designs of R. Kyrke Penson. The sanctus bellcote was removed at this time, and the north porch was rebuilt on the site of an earlier porch.

Sources include:
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Historic Churches Project, Pembrokeshire gazetteer

N Vousden, 14 November 2018