Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

EGLWYS-Y-BEDD OR ST CYBI'S VESTRY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 43590

Map Reference SH28SW

Grid Reference SH2470082590

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Holyhead

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description NAR SH28SW12

Eglwys-y-Bedd is the nave of a small early fourteenth century church or chapel. It stands within the walls of Caer Gybi (NPRN 15607) to the south of the collegiate church of St Gybi (NPRN 27500) and was probably part of the college. Having fallen into dereliction the building was restored as a school in 1748 and retains few original features. The last ruins of the chancel were cleared in 1810. The east wall has a blocked fourteenth century chancel arch and the west wall has a mutilated two light window, probably fourteenth century, above the head of a fifteenth-sixteenth century doorway.
Trenching carried out in 1992 indicated the presence of an earlier medieval building on the same site.

Sources: RCAHM Anglesey Inventory (1937), 31
Gruffydd in Archaeology in Wales 32 (1992), 76-7

John Wiles 13.07.07

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites