Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARYS CHURCH

Site Details



NPRN 43623

Map Reference SH27NE

Grid Reference SH29717682

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Llanfair-yn-neubwll

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description 1. Simple rectangular structure possibly 14th century.

2. The church has a continuous nave and chancel, constructed of schist rubble with grit dressing and slate roof. Despite C19 restoration and rebuilding the church retains two C14 windows which may be original. One is of two lancets with pointed light above in the East wall, and one is of a single light with trefoiled head in the South wall. The roof retains three medieval arch-braced roof trusses. Of the interior fittings, the C12 circular font is of most interest.
(Source: site file AN/ECC/SH27, also RCAHMW inventory, 1937 [1960 reprint] p. 76)
J Hill 16/01/2004

Digital Images

Archive Records