Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MICHAEL'S IN THE DUNES

Site Details



NPRN 43629

Map Reference SH37NW

Grid Reference SH3213577450

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Llanfair-yn-neubwll

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The church of St Michael is set within an enclosed rectangular walled churchyard, used as a cemetery and entered through a lychgate, on the south-east side of Minffordd Road in the centre of Llanfihangel yn Nhowyn. It is a mid-nineteenth century church built as part of a programme of reconstruction and restoration of Anglesey churches.
It was built to designs of Henry Kennedy in 1862 but probably incorporates masonry from a predecessor medieval church. In 1988 it was renovated and replanned with extensions west and at right angles to serve as the church for RAF Valley. For this purpose the redundant church of Llangynghenedl (Kennedy & Rogers, 1862) was dismantled and reassembled, and added in such a way that the west ends of the churches touch, the west bellcote of the addition becoming central to the new plan. A small outbuilding in the north-west corner of the churchyard was also incorporated. The structure is built of local rubble and freestone dressings, and modern slate roofs with stone copings. The main part has a cross at the east gable, the single ashlar bellcote surmounted by a cross at west, the added block also with a west gable cross. As it now stands, the church comprises a simple rectangular structure with a shorter narrower block at its west end, a north-west block added at right angles with shorter vestry at the north end and a lean-to porch in the angle. The main part is in Decorated style with a nave of three bays, the windows with sandstone dressings, trefoil-headed lights in square frames. The added blocks have pointed arched, lancet style, windows.
Inside, the nave roof is of four bays with exposed rafters and collared trusses with braces carried down to wall posts supported on plain corbels.The sanctuary is raised by one step. At the west end the the two churches are linked through a low Neo-Norman arcade of three round arches supported on paired columns with cushion capitals. The room beyond, raised by three steps, has a similarly detailed roof of two bays with modern trusses set on moulded corbels.
Sources:
Cadw Listing description.
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.177.
Google Street View, August 2009.

RCAHMW, 13 January 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records