Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST PADRICK'S NEW CHURCH, CEMAES BAY

Site Details



NPRN 43638

Map Reference SH39SE

Grid Reference SH36939310

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Llanbadrig

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Patrick's New Church is located on the north side of the A5025 close to a junction on the south side of the town. The church was built in 1865 to designs of Kennedy & Rogers, architects of Bangor, for the convenience of the town, the ancient church of St Padraig (NPRN 43639) being located about 1.7 km to the north-east. Exterior images (1) suggest a church built of rubble with dressings under slate roofs, its plan comprising nave and step-down chancel, porch on the south-west side and pitched-roof vestry on the north-east, later extended.
Notable features include grouped lancets in recessed panels with dentilated heads, and closely-spaced scissor trusses in the nave but rounded type in the chancel. The stone addition on the north is by N.Squire Johnson and dates from the 1980s (2).
Sources:
(1) http://www.photosofchurches.com/anglesey-cemaes-bay.htm
(2) Haslam et al., The Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.121.

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 7 November 2014