Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST SEIRIOL'S CHURCH, HOLYHEAD

Site Details



NPRN 43644

Map Reference SH28SW

Grid Reference SH2441482661

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Holyhead

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Seiriol's church was located within an irregular-shaped churchyard on the north-east side of Thomas Street, on the west side of Holyhead. It was built in 1853-4 to designs of Charles Verelst, architect, of Liverpool. Images taken before its demolition suggest its plan comprised nave, apsidal chancel, a lean-to along the south lateral wall with gabled porch, and an imposing tower on the west.
The spire once dominated the skyline of Holyhead but the church was found to be structurally unsafe in the 1980s, fund-raising efforts for repairs failed, and it was finally demolished in 1992. The churchyard cemetery survives.

Sources:
http://www.anglesey.info/holyhead-st-seiriols-church.htm
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:St_Seiriol's_Church_Holyhead_1853.jpg
Detailed plan available (churchplansonline.org)

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 11 November 2014

Archive Records