Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CHRIST CHURCH GLANOGWEN, BETHESDA

Site Details



NPRN 43664

Map Reference SH66NW

Grid Reference SH6252566724

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Bethesda

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description Christ Church is set within a roughly linear churchyard used as a cemetery and is approached through a lych-gate on the north side of Ogwen Terrace. It was built in 1855-6 in Early Decorated style to designs of architect T.H.Wyatt, commissioned by Lord Penrhyn. The church is aligned north-east by south-west and is constructed of green rubble stone with sandstone dressing and slate roofs, coped gables and buttresses with set-offs. It consists of six-bay clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, gabled south-west porch, lean-to vestry and large south-west tower with spire. The tower is in three stages with clasping buttresses nearly to the top and a semi-octagonal stair turret to left of west front. The ashlar octagonal broach spire is of east Midlands type but short and with gabled lucarnes. The interior is elaborately detailed, notably with naturalistic foliage stone carving. The six-bay nave roof is supported with arch-braced trusses on stone carved corbelled wall-shafts, intermediate trusses without corbels. The chancel roof is of four bays on carved corbels. The ashlar arcades are two-centred, piers alternately round and octagonal with pointed arches. The chancel has an ashlar feature each side: to left an organ recess, to right the screened vestry. The floor is tiled. There are two steps up to the sanctuary rails, and three steps in the sanctuary with patterned encautic tiles. Fittings include a massive drum font with recessed inscribed band on squat centre shaft and four marble outer shafts; an ashlar panelled octagonal pulpit with stone steps; and stalls of 1856 with poppyhead ends and arcaded panelled backs. Stained glass includes work by Henry Dearle of Morris & Co. (1922).
Sources:
Cadw Listing description.
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.262-3.

RCAHMW, 12 February 2016

Digital Images

Archive Records