Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CHRIST CHURCH, PENYGROES

Site Details



NPRN 43666

Map Reference SH45SE

Grid Reference SH4688352995

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llanllyfni

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description Christ Church is situated in a small rectangular churchyard (without graves) on Lon Eglwys, surrounded by housing estates, to the east of the A487 through Penygroes. It was built in 1890 to designs of architect Henry Kennedy of Bangor, in an unremarkable Early English style. It is constructed of rubble stone with finer dressings under a slate roof on a north-south alignment. The church comprises nave and narrower chancel with west bellcote, south porch and south vestry, both gabled (liturgical directions given). It is embellished with a proliferation of buttresses, mostly for effect, and oversized stone crosses on the gables.
A predecessor church in the same enclosure was slightly offset to the north-east. Early map depiction shows it was built on the same alignment and had an apsidal chancel.
Sources:
Haslam et al., Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.496.
Ordnance Survey County Series 25-inch map: sheet Caernarvonshire, editions of 1889 & 1900.
Google Street View, June 2011.

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 4 April 2016