Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

LLANENGAN PARISH CHURCH;ST ENGAN'S CHURCH

Site Details



NPRN 43676

Map Reference SH22NE

Grid Reference SH2939827029

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llanengan

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St Engan's church, Llanengan dates mainly from the period 1520-1534 when the original 13th century church was remodelled to form the present nave. It was restored in the 19th century, and again at various points of the 20th century. Of particular interest are the two outstanding medieval screens dating from c1530, they are both of similar design including base panels with quatrefoil heads, moulded uprights and traceried heads. The above frieze features water-leaf and fleur de lys design. The south screen retains a rood-loft. It has on its east side, two late medieval benchends, each topped with a carved and much worn crouching animal and a monstrous bird. There is a gabled bellcote on the west gable end containing a single bell inscribed RAX 1683.



Source: CADW listed buildings database.

RCAHMW, 7 November 2007.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites