Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST ANN'S CHURCH, BRYN EGLWYS, MYNYDD LLANDYGAI

Site Details



NPRN 43688

Map Reference SH66NW

Grid Reference SH6104466290

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llandygai

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Ann's church is situated on the south side of St Ann's Hill, in a rectanular churchyard used as a cemetery. It was built in 1865 to designs of Goronwy Owen in an Early English style. It replaced a church of 1813, probably by Benjamin Wyatt. The present church is built of dark rubble with limestone dressings, and consists of nave and chancel, gabled north porch, south vestry and north-east tower. The tower is of two stages and has a tall broach spire. The church is now disused due to structural instability and the congregation has relocated to another church nearby (NPRN 11946).
Sources:
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.470.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/828835
Google Street View, June 2011.

RCAHMW, 11 March 2016

Archive Records