Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST BEUNO'S CHURCH, CLYNNOG FAWR

Site Details



NPRN 43699

Map Reference SH44NW

Grid Reference SH41454970

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Clynnog

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description The eastern crossing of St Beuno's Church, Clynnog Fawr was erected in c1480-1486, the nave extended to the west some 20 years later, and the west tower and a 2-storey vestry added in the early 16th century. The church has been restored at various times, including:1848-56, 1913, 1924, 1926-8 and 1940. It has a spacious interior with whitewashed walls. Fittings include a rood screen of 1531, painted with guilloche pattern and lettering, a panelled octagonal pulpit of c1700, and fine c1500 choir stalls to the chancel.

Sources: CADW listed buildings database; RCAHMW Wallpaintings database.
RCAHMW 6 November 2007.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites