TWYN-Y-GARTH GUN;GERMAN LIGHT FIELD HOWITZER
Map Reference SO14SW
Grid Reference SO10714370
Unitary (Local) Authority Powys
Old County Radnorshire
Type of Site WAR MEMORIAL
Broad Class Commemorative
Site Description A First World War German 105 mm leichte Feldhaubitzer (light field Howitzer), badly corroded in parts, placed on a hill and secured in concrete after the war as a memorial.
This trophy German Light Field Gun was placed on the hilltop at Twyn-y-garth, near Llandeilo Graban, in January 1920 in memory of those from the area who died during the war, especially Christopher Williams-Vaughan whose sister Mrs Lionel Trafford ordered it from the War Office. The gun had fallen into disrepair by 1999 but was fully restored by the local community as a millennium project and unveiled in October 2000.
Stephen Croad et al., War Memorials Handbook second edition (UK National Inventory of War Memorials2001) p.23.
D.K.Leighton & G.M.Edwards, RCAHMW, 27 June 2016