Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST CEDOL'S CHURCH, PENTIR

Site Details



NPRN 43708

Map Reference SH56NE

Grid Reference SH5727267087

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Pentir

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Cedol's church is a nineteenth-century construction built to replace a nearby eighteenth-century chapel. It is located in a rectangular churchyard used as a cemetery to the north of the tiny village of Pentir. It was built in 1848 to designs of diocesan architect Henry Kennedy, an early example of his work, and it is largely unaltered. It is built of roughly squared igneous stone with limestone dressings, the chancel joints galletted, and with a large unit slate roof. It consists of five-bay nave divided by gabled buttresses reaching the eaves, short narrower chancel with lean-to vestry on the south with the heating chamber below it, gabled south porch, and tall double bellcote above the west gable end. The church is lit through lancets, single and paired and a three-light east window. Inside is a raked west gallery of two bays with a balustraded front on cylindrical piers. The roof has 11 trusses with tie and curved struts to the apex, the feet being carried down to wall corbels. The moulded chancel arch leads up three steps to the chancel of three bays, demarcated by similar trusses. Three further steps lead up to the sanctuary. Fittings include a polished limestone pulpit cantilevered from the east nave wall on moulded corbels and with access from the vestry; and a font consisting of a polished bowl set in a slate bowl which is carved with trefoil sides.
Sources:
Cadw Listing description.
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.493-4.
Google Street View, August 2009.

RCAHMW, 24 March 2016

Digital Images

Archive Records