Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST CROSS' CHURCH, TAL-Y-BONT, BANGOR

Site Details



NPRN 43712

Map Reference SH67SW

Grid Reference SH6086870805

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llanllechid

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The church of St Cross is located about 0.5km east of the village of Tal-y-bont, on the west side of Ponc-y-lon at a minor road junction, in a rectangular churchyard used as a cemetery. It was built in 1892 in an austere Neo-Norman style to designs of architect T.D.Atkinson (an early example of his work) at the expense of the Penrhyn Estate. The church is constructed of irregularly coursed rubblestone without prominent quoining, walls slightly battered, Anglesey limestone ashlar for detailing and slate roofs with coped verges on simple kneelers. It consists of nave and chancel of equal width and height divided by a slightly battered two-light ashlar bellcote, gabled north-west porch and gabled north-east organ chamber and vestry with gently tapering chimney, and is lit through round-headed windows with simple surrounds. The interior is simple, the walls plastered, windows splayed, finely jointed slate floors with timber boarding around pews, a trussed rafter roof to the nave and panelled ceiling with horizontal boarding to the chancel. Late nineteenth-century fittings and furnishings are largely intact and include a stepped sedilia with circular shafts, fourth compartment the piscina, and a simple pulpit as an extension of the low screen wall. Stained glass in the east window is by Edward Burne-Jones of Morris & Co (1908).
Source:s
Cadw listing description.
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.18.

RCAHMW, 29 March 2016

Archive Records