Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

NPRN 43716

Map Reference SH34SE

Grid Reference SH3741341821

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Pistyll

Type of Site CHURCH


Period Post Medieval

Site Description St Cuwch's (also known as St Beuno's) church was rebuilt in 1882 on an older site and is a good example of the simple isolated country church on a typical early site, and one retaining evidence of its late medieval construction and detail. The church is built of rubble stonework with galletted joints, with an irregular sized slate roof and superimposed gable copings and kneelers. It is a single vessel building with tall gabled W tower. On the north side there is a temporary boarded door and later 19th century 2-light timber windows holding diamond pattern glazing. The east window, said to be reset, is of 3 lights, with 15th century perpendicular panel style tracery, within ogee moulded jambs, all below a hoodmould. The tower has similar coped gables and slit openings at the bell stage. A wide low wall arch on the south side, now infilled, probably covered a wall tomb. The walls are plastered, with a stencilled dado. The floor is quarry tiled with boarding under the pews. Fittings include a raised panelled pulpit of probably early 19th century, with an integrated reader's desk below all approached by a side stair. There is a 19th century altar of 3 bays and an altar rail. The font, at the west end is octagonal, of limestone.

Source: CADW Listed buildings database.

RCAHMW, 7 November 2007.

Digital Images

Archive Records