Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

EGLWYS DEWI SANT, NEFYN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 43725

Map Reference SH34SW

Grid Reference SH3062740570

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Nefyn

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 20th Century

Site Description St David's church is situated on the north side of Ffordd Dewi Sant, set back from the road in a rectangular churchyard. It was built in 1903-4 by P.S.Gregory in the style of John Douglas. Constructed of snecked granite, inside and out, with Ancaster dressings, the church consists of nave and chancel under a single slate roof, north aisle of four bays, gabled half-timbered south porch, projecting bell canopy at the west gable, and a blocked archway in the chancel wall to an intended south tower that was never built. Inside, the roof is supported on arch-braced trusses in pine with multi-verticals above the collars and cusped wind-braces. When built, the church had a seating capacity of 150 and is still in use.
Source:
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.478.

RCAHMW, 18 March 2016

Archive Records