Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DEINIOL'S CHURCH, CRICCIETH

Site Details



NPRN 43728

Map Reference SH53NW

Grid Reference SH5009938193

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Criccieth

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Deiniol's church is located on High Street (A497), set back on its north side in a disused churchyard towards the centre of the town, close to the junction with Lon Ednyfed. It was built as a chapel of ease to the Parish Church of Saint Catherine in 1884-7 to designs of Douglas and Fordham, architects, of Chester, but was never finished. It was intended to serve as an English Church for the growing resort.
It was built in a Geometric Gothic style of dark grey granite rubble with red sandstone dressings. Its plan was cruciform, consisting of a six-bay nave, passage aisles, a three-bay chancel with sanctuary, south transept chapel opposite north transept for organ and vestry, and a south porch opposite a polygonal baptistry. It had a short spire with low, broad, broaches. Battered buttresses and bellcote give a dynamism to the building.
The original interior had a boarded wagon roof supported by false hammer-beam trusses and wind braces, and an arcade of continuous low pointed arches (without capitals) to corridor aisles, and recessed clerestory windows above. Also, a boarded and ribbed chancel ceiling with arched braced trusses. A west tower was planned but never built, marked by a blocked arch in the west wall.
The church was closed for worship in 1988 and was converted into residential flats in 1994.

Sources:
Cadw Listing database
Haslam et al., The Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.350

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 7 November 2014