Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST GEORGE'S CHURCH, TREFOR

Site Details



NPRN 43740

Map Reference SH34NE

Grid Reference SH3749246634

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llanaelhaearn

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The parish church of Trefor stands on the north side of the road off the A499 into the village. The church was designed in a Victorian 'Early English' style by George Farren, engineer and quarry manager for the Welsh Granite Co, operators of Yr Eifl quarry. The church was commenced in 1879 and opened in 1881 and was well appointed for the time, including a gas machine for heating.
The church is constructed in snecked, squared Trefor granite with limestone, and courses of red and blue bricks, flush as hood bands over the windows, under a blue slate roof patterned with green slates and trefoiled blue ridge tiles, and coped gables.
Its plan consists of a nave, west porch, and a short three-sided apsidal chancel, and carries a slender south-east tower, and a vestry at right angles on the north side. The nave has five lancet windows, all with wide external splays, and a corbelled outstepping eaves course, and patterned leaded glazing. The tower is rectangular in plan, with square buttresses rising to a corbel table at the base of the bell stage, with lancet openings with brick surrounds, and a crenellated parapet.
Inside, the wide nave has an open roof of five bays defined by double collar trusses, the collars supporting three trefoiled infill panels and king posts. The walls are plastered, with a boarded dado. Four steps rise to the presbytery beneath a stone chancel arch. The chancel is of two bays with an apsidal end, all quarry tiled, and it has a similar open roof. Fittings include an altar table on five stone legs, and a nineteenth-cebtury arcaded communion rail; an octagonal pine pulpit accessed from the chancel; a font of polished granite, dated 1901, a circular bowl with rounded lip, set on a stem and base; and two banks of pine pews.

Source: extracts from Cadw Listing database

RCAHMW, 18 November 2014

Digital Images

Archive Records