Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST JOHN THE BAPTIST MISSION CHURCH, CAPEL CURIG

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 43754

Map Reference SH75NW

Grid Reference SH7345756826

Unitary (Local) Authority Conwy

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Capel Curig

Type of Site MISSION CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description This church is located on the west side of a minor road off the south side of the A5 at Pont Cyfyng. Established as a mission church in about 1875 it was built of local rubble stone on a simple rectangular plan with gabled porch on the south-west, under slate roofs. The church was dedicated to St John the Baptist before 1914 when it appears as such on the Ordnance Survey Third Edition 25-inch map. It may have been deconsecrated at an early date as the building is not annotated as a church on the OS Fourth Edition six-inch plan of 1953.
It has since been converted into holiday home accommodation.

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 7 November 2014