Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST LLECHIDS CHURCH, LLANLLECHID

Site Details



NPRN 43759

Map Reference SH66NW

Grid Reference SH6219468690

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llanllechid

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description This church was built in 1844 by the diocesan architect, Henry Kennedy to replace the old church, the site of which lies to the east in the present churchyard. Built in the Lombardic Romanesque style, it has a nave, chancel, west bellcote, south porch and north vestry. It is constructed from roughly coursed rubblestone blocks with tooled ashlar dressings and has a continuous chamfered plinth and cill band. It also has steep-pitched slate roofs with coped verges and strong moulded cornices.

It is listed as an early church of Henry Kennedy, architect to the diocese of Bangor from the 1840s until his retirement in 1894. Llanllechid is one of his most distinctive buildings and shows him working in the neo-Norman style favoured during the earlier part of his career.

Source:- Cadw listed buildings, NJR 07/07/2010

Digital Images

Archive Records