Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARYS CHURCH, CAERNARFON

Site Details



NPRN 43778

Map Reference SH46SE

Grid Reference SH4775462948

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Caernarfon

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description Originally begun c1307 as both a chantry and a garrison chapel and had neared completion by 1316. Underwent restoration 1811-14. Consists of an aisled nave and chancel with C19 porches. The NW tower of town wall, known as Bell Tower, was used as vestry and accommodation. Constructed of coursed dressed stone with slate roof. An early decorated church, its exterior is of early C19 character. Plastered waggon roofs to both the nave and chancel. Noted for its original N and S arcades, with diagonally set square piers, and 2 centred hood-moulded arches, some with label stops.
(Source CADW listed buildings database)
J Hill 11.09.2003

Associated with/part of:
Medieval & later borough (Nprn33011).
Bell Tower = Nprn302415

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites