Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S CHURCH, TREGARTH

Site Details



NPRN 43779

Map Reference SH56NE

Grid Reference SH59846812

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llandygai

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Mary's church is situated about 0.5km west of the village of Tregarth, on the north side of the B4409 at its junction with Lon y Wern, in a rectangular churchyard used, and extended, as a cemetery. It was built in 1869 to designs of Thomas Jones. Constructed of dark rubble with grey limestone dressings and slate roofs, it consists of nave and narrower chancel, gabled south-west porch, gabled south vestry and north transept organ chamber. Inside, scissor trusses support the chancel roof with less substantial arch-braced ones in the nave, on floriate corbels and with high collars. Stained glass in the north window is by Jones & Willis, in the south window by J.Wippell & Co.
Source:
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.525.

RCAHMW, 30 March 2016

Archive Records