Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S CHURCH, NEFYN

Site Details



NPRN 43787

Map Reference SH34SW

Grid Reference SH3087040645

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Nefyn

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Mary's church was situated on the south side of Stryd-y-Mynach, some 180m north-east of the junction of the A497 and the B4417 in the centre of Nefyn. Formerly the parish church it is now re-used as a maritime museum. It was a nineteenth-century, Late Georgian, church built c.1825-7, on the site of a former church whose registers date from 1694, but with a more ancient history as a church established here in the fifth century by Nefyn ar Nefain, daughter of Brychan Brycheiniog of Garth Madryn. The name was recorded as Llanfair-yn-Nefyn in the twelfth when the church was held by Augustinian Canons of Haughmond Abbey. In the thirteenth century a priory was attached to the church.
It is constructed of rubble stone with a grouted slate roof and consists of nave and chancel in one, thin west tower and a gabled, buttressed north porch added later. The tower is square, plain and sheer to a set-back under the bell-stage, then simple stepped cornice under parapet which has angles ramped up to small corner finials surrounding a sailing-ship vane. The bell-stage has a single large louvred opening each face, slightly pointed with stone voussoirs. The main part of the tower has a blocked circular opening at the top of its west face, probably for a clock. A broad pointed original west door is now blocked with an inserted window. The body of the church has two pointed windows to each side, with plain timber Y-tracery and a large similar east window of three lights. Inside, the six-bay roof has arch-braced collar trusses and triple purlins. All fittings have been removed.
Sources:
Cadw Listing description.
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.478-9.

RCAHMW, 16 March 2016

Commenting as part of the crowd-sourcing project Crwydro in 2014, a user posting a picture under the name *waen noted that the church currently houses the Llŷn Maritime Museum.

(Source: Crwydro, 17.07.2014)

Digital Images

Archive Records