Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST PEBLIG'S CHURCH, LLANBEBLIG

Site Details



NPRN 43801

Map Reference SH46SE

Grid Reference SH4874662288

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Caernarfon

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description The structure of St Peblig's Church has thirteenth century origins although much of the present fabric is of the fourteenth century. A tower and chapel were added in the sixteenth century, and there were further minor alterations in the eighteenth and ninteenth centuries before major restoration work was undertaken in 1894.

The church is constructed of coursed rubble walls with a slate roof and coped gables. It is notable for its imposing 3-storey western tower and has a high quality, late medieval arch-braced roof. There is a sixteenth century alabaster tomb in the north-eastern chapel, and some evidence of wall painting, including scrollwork in a tomb recess that is probably of medieval date.

Source: CADW listed buildings database

J Hill, RCAHMW, 11 September 2003

Digital Images

Archive Records