Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST PETERS CHURCH

Site Details



NPRN 43804

Map Reference SH33NE

Grid Reference SH3739435274

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Pwllheli

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Peter's church is located in the centre of Pwllheli, in Church Place, above the road and set in a small churchyard. It was built in 1886-7 by J Oldrid Scott, architect of London, on the site of an earlier church by William Thomas (County Surveyor) built in 1832-4.
The church is constructed in a decorated Gothic style, of local snecked rubble with yellow rubble banding and pink Runcorn freestone dressings, purple slate roofs with green slate patterned banding and tiled cresting; gable parapets and stepped buttresses; plinth and cill band. Its plan comprises nave, chancel and full height north and south aisles; vestry (added 1908) and asymetrically gabled south-west porch. Initial plans for a west tower were abandoned.
The interior is spacious with open timber roofs featuring arched braced trusses to central nave with windbraces and stone springers; stop chamfered tie beams and octagonal king posts to north aisle roof. Other interior features include rendered walls and stone arcades; piscina and sedilia to chancel and panelled oak reredos with Flamboyant tracery carving to central triptych containing mosaic pictures; Gothic panelled pulpit; elaborate circular font dated 1889 at west end; plain octagonal font with deep heptagonal bowl to north aisle (perhaps the medieval one from the demolished church of St Deneio); and a Baptism of Christ picture by Harvey Thomas (1979).
Sources: extracts from Cadw Listing database; Haslam et al., Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.505

RCAHMW, 14 November 2014

Digital Images

Archive Records