Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST TUDWENS CHURCH

Site Details



NPRN 43815

Map Reference SH23NE

Grid Reference SH2740436864

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Buan

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description A T-shaped church, built of rubble and plastered internally, sits in a rectangular churchyard, uncommon for this area. The nave probably dates from a recorded rebuilding in 1595 and sits on the older, medieval foundations. The door to the nave is asymmetrically placed in the western wall and not under the bell cote which caps the gable end, which is also asymmetrically placed, albeit less so. The chancel likely once extended beyond the current T plan, but is now a crossing space only. The north transept appears to have been added in the sixteenth century while the south transept has features likely dating from the early part of the seventeenth century.

(Source: Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Caernarvonshire, Vol. III (RCAHMW: 1964)
A.N.Coward 06.03.2018

Digital Images

Archive Records