Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 43863

Map Reference SH61SW

Grid Reference SH6456114619

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Merioneth

Community Arthog

Type of Site CHURCH


Period 19th Century

Site Description St Catherine’s Church is situated within a triangular churchyard used as a cemetery, bounded by the A493 road on its south side. The church was originally built as a chapel of ease to Llangelynin and was described as new in 1808. It is constructed of rubble stone with slate roofs. A small church, it consists of nave and chancel in a single chamber, gabled porch on the west end wall joined on the north to a miniature stair-tower, and a west bellcote. On the north wall is a late nineteenth-century gabled an addition with fireplace and chimney. The church is lit on its south side through arched windows with wood tracery and intricate leading (c.1876); the stained glass east window of the same date. In the west wall below the bellcote is a roundel of 1952.
Inside, there is a simple wooden west gallery accessed via a spiral staircase housed in the stair-tower. The flooring is plain tiles The roof is supported by barn-like trusses.
Sources include:
Cadw Listing description.
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.543.
Google Street View, April 2010.

D Leighton & N Vousden, RCAHMW, 31 March 2016

Digital Images

Archive Records