Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DWYWE'S CHURCH, LLANDDWYWE;LLANDDWYWE-IS-Y-CRAIG

Site Details



NPRN 43872

Map Reference SH52SE

Grid Reference SH5864122334

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Merioneth

Community Dyffryn Ardudwy

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St Dwywe’s Church was first mentioned in documents dating to 1292-1293. It is situated within a curvilinear churchyard, at the foot of the drive which runs from Cosygedol mansion (NPRN28298). The churchyard is encroached by roads on its east and south sides, and farm buildings on its west. The entrance is at its southern end. It was extended to the north-east in 1906, and a low curvilinear bank delineates its former boundary. The circumference of the churchyard was given as 153ft in 1793, and its area was given as two roods and twenty perches in 1899.

The church is a Grade II listed building, constructed of rubble stone. Its structure is mainly of late medieval and post reformation date, and shows the strong influence of the Vaughans of Corsygedol who were responsible for much of the work. It consists of a continuous nave and chancel, north chapel, south porch and belfry. The current nave and chancel are thought to date to 1593, as there is a reset date stone above the south porch. The north chapel was added in 1615. An open screen dated 1620 separates the north chapel from the chancel. its sill is thought to be part of a reused medieval beam, probably from a former rood screen. The east end of the south wall was rebuilt in 1663. In the eighteenth century the iron railings were erected to separate the nave and chancel. In 1925 the walls were repointed and the screen was repaired. A restoration was carried out in 1963. The interior of the north chapel was plastered in 1993.

Sources include:
Beverley Smith, J, Beverley Smith, Ll, 2001, History of Merioneth II, 347-348
Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, 2000, Historic churches of Gwynedd: gazetteer, 391

N Vousden, RCAHMW, May 2012

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites