Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST ENDDWYN'S CHURCH, LLANENDDWYN

Site Details



NPRN 43873

Map Reference SH52SE

Grid Reference SH5824123432

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Merioneth

Community Dyffryn Ardudwy

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St Enddwyn’s Church is medieval in origin. It is presently situated approximately 1km from the foreshore, adjacent to reclaimed land. It would therefore have been close to the seashore when built. The church is situated within a rectilinear churchyard, whose entrance is on the south-east side. The circumference of the churchyard was given as 520ft in 1793, and as two roods and thirty perches in 1799. A lychgate was also noted in 1799. The churchyard was extended to the west in 1899, by an area of 1400 square yards. Its former west boundary is visible as a low bank.

The church is a grade 2 listed building constructed of local rubble stone with squared gritstone kneelers, modern dressings and a bellecote of squared stone. It consists of a continuous nave and chancel, with north and south transepts, south porch and west bellecote. It is thought that the building began as a single-celled structure, to which the chancel and south chapel were added. The lower fabric of the nave and chancel and south chapel is thought to be medieval. Five re-used (two in chancel, two in south transept, one in north transept) arch-braced collar trusses are fifteenth century in date. The octagonal font is late medieval in date. The south window of the chancel is thought to be sixteenth century. Four plain roof trusses in the nave are thought to date to the sixteenth or seventeenth century. In 1793 the north chapel was mentioned, as was a gallery at the west end. Dimensions of the church were given as 69ft length x 19ft width. The church was restored and partially rebuilt in 1883. A south porch and north vestry were added. The north and west walls of the north chapel were rebuilt, as was the north wall of the chancel. New windows were inserted in the east wall of the chancel, the south wall of the south chapel, the north wall of the north chapel and the north wall of the nave. In addition, the church was refloored, the seating re-arranged and memorials and gallery were removed. The interior was also re-plastered. In 1914 the floor of the south chapel was replaced. In 1924 an oak reredos was added.

Sources include:
Beverley Smith, J, Beverley Smith, Ll, 2001, History of Merioneth II, 353-354
Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, 2000, Historic churches of Gwynedd: gazetteer, 391

RCAHMW, May 2011

Archive Records