Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST JAMES'S CHURCH, GLAN-YR-AFON

Site Details



NPRN 43877

Map Reference SJ04SW

Grid Reference SJ0268242526

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Merioneth

Community Llandderfel

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St James’s Church is situated within a rectilinear churchyard on the south-east side of the A494. It was erected between 1861-1864 as a memorial church to Sir Robert and Lady Williames-Vaughan of Rug. The church was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, and is a Grade II listed building. It is considered a well-preserved example of a Gothic Revival rural church.

The building is constructed of rubble stone, with sandstone ashlar dressings to the window surrounds. It consists of a continuous nave and chancel with a south lean-to vestry and north-west porch. Externally, the line between nave and chancel is delineated by a bellecote and a pair of projecting stepped buttresses. The porch has a coped gabled roof and double-chamfered archway, with an impost band continuing to form the sill band of the west windows. The west end has paired lancet windows and a recessed plate-traceried rose-window. A further three windows are located on the south side of the nave, all with two-light plate tracery, each differently detailed and linked by a continuous sill-band. The chancel has a stepped triple-lancet east window. Paired lancet windows are also located in the north wall of the chancel, with two-light plate-traceried windows in the north wall of nave, all differently detailed and with a continuous sill band. Most of the fittings are contemporary.

Sources include:
Cadw, Listed Buildings Database

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 23 July 2012

Digital Images

Archive Records