Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MADRYN'S CHURCH, TRAWSFYNYDD

Site Details



NPRN 43881

Map Reference SH73NW

Grid Reference SH7066535654

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Merioneth

Community Trawsfynydd

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St Madryn’s Church is thought to be medieval in origin, and is located close to the crossing of two major routeways, the Roman road from Tomyn-y-mur to Brithdir, and an ancient east-west route of possible prehistoric date. The church is situated within a curvilinear cemetery. The south east corner has been cut out to form a car park and there is a significant extension to the west. There is an entrance to the northeast, and a lychgate to the south.

The church is a grade 2 listed building, constructed of rubble stone. It consists of a continuous nave and chancel with a second, shorter south aisle, a south porch and west bellcote on the north aisle. The aisles are separated by a wooden arcade. It is thought that the building originated as a single celled structure, with the addition of a late medieval south aisle. The north aisle was later extended to the south-west, making it longer than the south. An internal recess in the north wall may indicate the blocked opening to a former chapel. The church was restored in 1853-1854. All the windows were renewed and the interior refitted. The arcade was replaced with the old pews being used for a ceiling between the aisles. A fire at the west end of the north aisle in 1978 resulted in that end being rebuilt level with the south aisle. The church was also re-roofed, but a number of medieval timbers were reused.

Sources include:
Beverley Smith, J, Beverley Smith, Ll, 2001, History of Merioneth II, 367-368
Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, 2000, Historic churches of Gwynedd: gazetteer, 391

RCAHMW, May 2011